Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nobody

Seeking advice on extending community WiFi over long distances

Hello,

I'm working on a project to extend our community WiFi and could use some expert advice. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1. Broadcast existing community WiFi signal to a location 5km away
2. Create a hotspot at that remote location with a 1km radius

My questions:

1. What equipment would you recommend for the long-range WiFi transmission (5km)?
2. Any suggestions for creating a robust hotspot with a 1km radius at the remote location?
3. What are the main technical challenges I should be aware of?

I'm relatively new to large-scale WiFi projects, so any advice, resources, or cautionary tales would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, nobody said:

Hello,

I'm working on a project to extend our community WiFi and could use some expert advice. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1. Broadcast existing community WiFi signal to a location 5km away
2. Create a hotspot at that remote location with a 1km radius

My questions:

1. What equipment would you recommend for the long-range WiFi transmission (5km)?
2. Any suggestions for creating a robust hotspot with a 1km radius at the remote location?
3. What are the main technical challenges I should be aware of?

I'm relatively new to large-scale WiFi projects, so any advice, resources, or cautionary tales would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

First you need to decide what channel speed you need. How many clients do you plan to serve at the same time? And then think about antennas.

Edited by Aksonx2
2 people like this

we are using WiFi 5 and for the client that will connect is relative because I want as much as possible
Thank you

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, nobody said:

we are using WiFi 5 and for the client that will connect is relative because I want as much as possible
Thank you

how would I do:
- plan of the area (park, stadium, sports ground, monuments)
- according to the plan, where it is allowed to install access points (permission from the city administration or building owners, installation on lighting poles or making new supports for access points)
- weather conditions (climate, sun, humidity. Installation outdoors or indoors) Even protection from birds (bird shit). This seems funny, but I had to make protection from crows on the GPS antenna. The bird loved to sit on the antenna and the signal was of poor quality. I taped toothpicks onto duct tape to stab the crow's ass.
- Based on such data, you will already have a plan for where you can install access points and where you can’t.
- decide how many people you plan to simultaneously connect to access points. Will there be a limit on access speed? And they will. Or which billing to deploy. Otherwise, your entire network will be destroyed by those who like to use torrents for free.
- If this is a stadium, then there are definitely corporate-class access points. A simple SOHO access point will not be able to serve more than 10 people.
- Do you need seamless roaming between access points (for example, a park, a client walking or riding a bike)
This will give you the hardware requirements. From the site plan you will understand where access points can be placed and where not. And approximately the coverage of the WIFI network.
- and here we need antennas or not.
May be better to place access points in a star topology

P.S By the way, the issue of electricity supply is also important - laying electrical power cables will be prohibited and something will have to be invented

Edited by Aksonx2
2 people like this

5ghz band at 5 km gonna need some REAL EFFORT (Sector antennas and Power-sensitivity on AP)

RvR_Graph_GS4.png

>>2. Any suggestions for creating a robust hotspot with a 1km radius at the remote location?

Use collinear TRUE 11....8dbi antenna for 2.4GHz in the center of area

Like on picture attached to this post

And then cover area stripe by stripe using sector antennas 5GHz

Forget about entire 6 GHz band 14.jpg

1 person likes this

It can be with an antenna of this kind...

screenshot_56.png

1 person likes this