Welcome to WIFI Antennas

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

naumoves

Stacked Patch antenna for 3.2-3.5 GHz band

37 posts in this topic

Hello guys. I am a newbie. Now i'm trying to tune my stack-patch antenna for 3.2-3.5 GHz band in CST. Its current version seems to be able to work good from 3.2 to 4.2 GHz but... VSWR is too high. 

What could you advise to lower it? Are there any effective methods to do it?

- Substrate is lossy FR4.

- CLadding - lossy copper 0.035mm. 

3.2_3.5_patch.jpg

3.2_3.5_patch_characteristics.jpg

2 people like this

,,,can you post the CST file here...???

2 people like this

,,,where did you get this type of stack-patch antenna,,,???
,,,it seems that it does not have a good impedance on a certain bandwidth and the directivity gain is not good...!!!

,,,the VSWR is not good either...!!!

screenshot_1.png

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Admin said:

,,, где вы взяли антенну такого типа,,,???
,,, кажется, что у нее плохой импеданс на определенной полосе пропускания и коэффициент усиления по направленности невелик ...!!!

,,КСВН тоже не очень хорош ...!!!

I've designed an antenna for 4.990 GHz and 5.200 GHz band (characteristics screen below) and decided to design the same thing for the 3.2-3.5 GHz band. But in this design, I got stuck trying to widen the band and began searching for methods to widen it. I found information about parasitic patches that could help widen the band, and I tried to design one. 

4.9_patch.png

411ePfsoCoL._SL1000_.jpg

1 person likes this

,,,but you can't put 4 directors on one patch...the original antenna has 4 patches...!!!

1 person likes this

,,yes, but this is completely different..!!

,,,that's how it should be...

images.jpeg

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Admin said:

,,yes, but this is completely different..!!

,,,that's how it should be...

images.jpeg

Thanks a lot! I will try ti figure it out )

ALL metal is WAY BETTER (no losses or dielectric shifts) , with 4 patches at 3.5 you'll end up close to 15 dbi (if EVERYTHING is ok) band width might end up to narrow...tho 

2 people like this

Adding parasitic patches (close by) would make a new s11 dip (higher or lower than the original) if those TWO dips are close by you'll widen the bandwidth ...(at some s11 expense , s11 goes up , less energy absorbed ) if you stay under -10 and efficiency is good...you are good to go...PS: efficiency is ALWAYS GOOD for me , cause i use STYROFOAM as dielectric...

Edited by clanon
1 person likes this

On 16.09.2024 at 6:16 PM, clanon said:

ALL metal is WAY BETTER (no losses or dielectric shifts) , with 4 patches at 3.5 you'll end up close to 15 dbi (if EVERYTHING is ok) band width might end up to narrow...tho 

Thank you! Have you got any manual of designing this type of antennas in metall? Or can you share a link to it?

2 hours ago, clanon said:

Adding parasitic patches (close by) would make a new s11 dip (higher or lower than the original) if those TWO dips are close by you'll widen the bandwidth ...(at some s11 expense , s11 goes up , less energy absorbed ) if you stay under -10 and efficiency is good...you are good to go...PS: efficiency is ALWAYS GOOD for me , cause i use STYROFOAM as dielectric...

Sorry, could you explain about new dip at s11? Have you got an example of its image?

S11 (Return loss) is the energy absorbed or rejected  and it relates to VSWR...from -10 to -20 you have under 2 VSWR, a GOOD antenna...and it should go from the lower frequency you need to the highest (bandwidth)

Return-Loss-VSWR-Conversion-Table-scaled.jpg

s11.PNG

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, clanon said:

S11 (Return loss) is the energy absorbed or rejected  and it relates to VSWR...from -10 to -20 you have under 2 VSWR, a GOOD antenna...and it should go from the lower frequency you need to the highest (bandwidth)

Return-Loss-VSWR-Conversion-Table-scaled.jpg

s11.PNG

Thank you, Clanon! But i know about VSWR and return loss dependence :) And a know that parasitic patches can widen the band ... but i don't know how they effect on s11 and how i should design them right :) 

same size or smaller and close by...TRY SLOTS on the patchs , that works too

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, clanon said:

Thanks a lot! I'll try!

On 18.09.2024 at 4:38 AM, clanon said:

I think i won this challenge :) (with parasitic patches).

design_1_3.3.png

design_1_3.3_farfield.png

design_1_3.3_s11_vswr_ds.png

2 people like this

,,,this is real impedance...

screenshot_11.png

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Admin said:

,,,this is real impedance...

I've tried to design something like plate sma connector with the same dimensions and materials. 

Do you know were i can find pre-built sma connectors for cst with right impedance characteristics?

01-500x500.jpg

Why don't you search on this forum, you will find...!!!???

2 people like this

On 21/9/2024 at 9:53 AM, naumoves said:

I think i won this challenge :) (with parasitic patches).

Check efficiency , usually is poor for FR4...(it hurt RX) , if you are close to 90% it's good enough...imho

23 hours ago, naumoves said:

I've tried to design something like plate sma connector with the same dimensions and materials. 

Do you know were i can find pre-built sma connectors for cst with right impedance characteristics?

1 person likes this